Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fog of war

To: martin <martin.mcmahon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fog of war
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue.kristensen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 22:01:01 +0100

> you should be able to see the size of your towns .when they grow under fog
> how do you think your nation knows its town sizes .the data in real life is
> not sent by sight but other ways (phone,mail,e-mail,fax) on the other hand
> units can get lost any place and be out of reach with no data on them coming
> in.

Since your towns contribute their own sight points you can always see them;
trivielly you allways know their size.

> now one for version 2.1 on fog. Planes could be loaded up with dry ice and
> they could be used to fly into fog and break it up .this has done at our
> local airport before. then fogs falls as hail stones.:) thats the thinking
> anyway

Umm, fog of war is not real fog, it just means that you cannot see what you
don't have a unit near to observe. As it is now, if fx you one time had an
explorer on a piece of land you will see everything that happens there. This is
not realistic, and not the way it was in civ 2.

Now that I am sending an email anyway I will mention a few cool ideas:
Implementing watch towers and radar tovers at some point. Settlers can build
these and when build they give you information as if you had a unit on the
square. Watch tower gives normal sight range, and radar tower gives sight range
like fx a destroyer.
Giving bigger cities bigger sight ranges. 9+ cities should have a sight range
of 3 (one bigger than a destroyer) and 13+ cities should have a sight range of
4.
Also when alliences are implemented I will be possible to share sight range
with other players directly, ie all things you can see are automatically sent
to him.

-Thue