Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fog of war

To: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fog of war
From: thomas <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 16:24:21 -0600

I think the best way to over come the effects of the Fog Of war is to not
Implementing watch towers and radar towers (are not apart of the original
game) but just create a new unit called "spy satellite" in the units.ruleset
file.  The programmers do not have to do anything special for those users
who don't want to give up having the whole map.  Just add these definition
to a local copy of the ruleset file:

[unit_satellite]
name          = _("Spy Satellite")
move_type     = "Heli"
tech_req      = "Rocketry"
obsolete_by   = "None"
graphic       = "u.nuclear"
graphic_alt   = "-"
build_cost    = 240
attack        = 0
defense       = 75
hitpoints     = 10
firepower     = 1
move_rate     = 64
vision_range  = 4
transport_cap = 0
fuel          = 1
uk_happy      = 1
uk_shield     = 1
uk_food       = 0
uk_gold       = 0
flags         = "NonMil"
roles         = "Explorer"
helptext      = _("\
Spy on your friends\
")

[unit_icbm]
name          = _("ICBM")
move_type     = "Air"
tech_req      = "Rocketry"
obsolete_by   = "None"
graphic       = "u.nuclear"
graphic_alt   = "-"
build_cost    = 120
attack        = 99
defense       = 0
hitpoints     = 10
firepower     = 1
move_rate     = 32
vision_range  = 1
transport_cap = 0
fuel          = 1
uk_happy      = 1
uk_shield     = 1
uk_food       = 0
uk_gold       = 0
flags         = "FieldUnit", "OneAttack", "Missile"
roles         = ""
helptext      = _("\
Use ICBMs to destroy Spy Satellites and anyone really far away\
")

Of course you can change these value to fit your needs.
If any on has any suggestions on what I should set the flags and the roles
to, let me know.  I took a guess.