[Freeciv-Dev] city names (was: It's a game already!)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] city names (was: It's a game already!)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:15:35 +0100

> If you try to avoid offending everyone you're going to make things very
> difficult for yourself if it's even possible at all.

The more reason to respond to *specific* requests made by players
who find *specific* things in the game offensive.

Personally, I'd be perfectly happy to play with arbitrarily generated
nation, leader, and city names.  It would be good fun to have this.
On the other hand, now that I've created the Dutch nation, I like to
play them, too: it's amusing to see these familiar town names
appear on the map.

Also, I've played with the thought of generating city names based on
a given list: fake 'Dutch' names will be even more amusing than actual
ones.  But the algorithm I planned to use doesn't produce names that
are good enough.

--
Reinier Post