[Freeciv-Dev] Re: city names (was: It's a game already!)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: city names (was: It's a game already!)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 20:44:44 +0100

> - Each sequence of n characters (blank beeing treated as any other
> character) should be stored.
>
> - For each stored character sequence, there should be stored a frequency
> count of the following character.
>
> Generating random svada:
>
> - Start with a random sequence.
> - Pick a random following character, but weighted according to the
> frequency count.
> - Deal with text formatting and ending
>
> Oh, I almost feel like making this once more, this time in perl....

Funny, that's *exactly* what I just did, except that n is hardcoded to 3:

  http://www.freeciv.org/~hop/utilities/wordgen

The results are interesting, but not quite good enough.
One problem is a bias against frequent sequences, which
do not occur as frequently as in the original input.

And the script, as it is, is ridiculously inefficient.

--
Reinier