[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Capitalization bug/feature

To: Daniel Zinsli <s830+priv@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Capitalization bug/feature
From: Corin Anderson <corin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:08:59 -0800 (PST)

On 13 Jan 2000, Daniel Zinsli wrote:

> Corin Anderson <corin@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> >   * Free switching (all you want!) on the turn during which the city
> >     completes building something;
>
> I'm not quite sure on this one. If a city is building a wonder that gets
> obsolete, shield_stock is very large, he can churn out 1 unit per turn,
> build 1 improvement per turn etc, is that correct?

What Thue said.  To reiterate:  you get to switch free only on the turn
during which the city actually _builds_ something.  If the wonder that a
city is cranking on is built by someone _else_, your city hasn't actually
built anything yet, so you'd still suffer the 50% stock loss.

> The fact that (afaik) surplus shield_stock is kept makes it a very
> powerful feature, and free switching would even increase this.

I don't think it's all that powerful.  The only way that a city can have
700 or 800 shield stock is if it hasn't built _anything_ for oh-so-many
turns.  Even if the city is building a wonder with the help of caravans,
the 700 or 800 shields _have_ been produced _somewhere_ in the empire, and
have just been sitting idly.  A city with 700 shield stock is actually a
_handicap_ -- because the player hasn't made use of the production
investment.

Corey