[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Capitalization bug/feature

To: Daniel Zinsli <s830+priv@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Capitalization bug/feature
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:30:59 -0600

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 03:04:22AM +0100, Daniel Zinsli wrote:
> When switching from wonder to cap. in civ2 the current shield stock was
> kept, so that you could switch back to building a wonder without losing
> production. That way, when a wonder got built, if you had lots of
> shield stock in one city, you could switch to cap., and when a new
> wonder got available, you switched to building that, and shield_stock
> was the same.

        You never switched away from producing the wonder in the first
place, so this wasn't an issue.  All Microprose Civ versions have allowed
you to continue building wonders after they were built elsewhere, the
shields were just stockpiled.  Then you could switch directly to a wonder
when one became available.  It bitched about it every turn in the messages
you got, but it was quite happy to allow the situation to continue.
        You should not have been able to retain shields in the way you
describe, because Capitalization should have emptied your shield stock into
your treasury.

> AFAIK, when switching to cap in freeciv, shield_stock is set to 0.
> (I could be wrong though :)
>
> Bug or Feature ? :-)

        If the shield stock is pre-emptively set to zero, that's a bug.
The shields that you already have should be converted to gold.  Possibly
after being halved for switching production categories, which I would
advocate.
        Under no circumstances should you be able to switch out of
Capitalization with a shield stock remaining.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."