[Freeciv-Dev] Re: A problem with carrying over leftover sheilds

To: John Paul Rodman <jp@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: A problem with carrying over leftover sheilds
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:23:15 -0600

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 11:29:31AM -0600, John Paul Rodman wrote:
> From a player's standpoint, I really like that leftover sheilds are
> carried over when a city completes building something.  For one thing, it
> means that there's no need to micromanage sheild production to make sure
> that none is lost when something gets built.  However, it seems like it
> creates a significant loophole.  It undermines the 50% penalty for
> switching between units/improvements/wonders.  If you start building a
> very large improvement, buy it, then switch to a small improvement, then
> the next turn you will have a huge stockpile of sheilds which you paid
> improvement prices for, but which you can now use to build anything.  You
> can even pump out several units in a row through this method.  Admittedly,
> it does take an extra turn to do this, and you have to have all the money
> up front, but it seems like a pretty big loophole to me.

        Yes, I agree.
        Simply losing the stockpile really seems like the best way to
handle this.  The only people who get screwed are those building Wonders
who will "never" be in a position to build another.  (And they should have
been stockpiling caravans anyway. :) )
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."