[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Capitalization bug/feature

To: Daniel Zinsli <s830+priv@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Capitalization bug/feature
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:06:22 -0500

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 03:04:22AM +0100, Daniel Zinsli was heard to say:
> When switching from wonder to cap. in civ2 the current shield stock was
> kept, so that you could switch back to building a wonder without losing
> production. That way, when a wonder got built, if you had lots of
> shield stock in one city, you could switch to cap., and when a new
> wonder got available, you switched to building that, and shield_stock
> was the same.

Actually, there's another similar problem.  If you finish building something
and then want to start building a different type of thing, you almost always are
guaranteed to lose 50% of your shields.  The problem is that Freeciv
automagically selects the new production for you and applies shields to it,
regardless of whether that's what you wanted to do; it impacts wonders since
Freeciv never (as far as I can tell) selects another wonder.  CivII got around
this by making you look at every city which built something (and choose the new
production target) before you could start the turn, but that only worked for
improvements.  Build queues would fix it, but only if you plan ahead :)
  I propose that switching between different production types be free
either for one turn after a new item is produced, or just one time (so you
can switch once gratis, but switching again is costly)

> AFAIK, when switching to cap in freeciv, shield_stock is set to 0.
> (I could be wrong though :)

  I've only had Capitalization built a few times, and then because the
%$#% target selection code decided to build it while I wasn't looking (for
some reason this is the computer's favorite improvement once it's available :( )
But I think that my shield stock was saved, and maybe even increased (which
would also be wrong).  Of course, switching back to the wonder caused a 50%
loss of shields; I never built Capitalization in CivII, so I don't know whether
that's right, but your message seems to indicate that it isn't.

  Daniel

--
"You keep on using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."
  -- "The Princess Bride"