[Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreeCiv Suggestion.

To: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: NigelM <nigelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreeCiv Suggestion.
From: paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 08:24:06 -0800

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 10:11:12AM -0500, Jeff Mallatt wrote:
> They are back!  While not in the latest stable release (1.9.0), those pesky
> Barbarians have infiltrated the current development version (1.9.1-devel).

And are they annoying... :) You have to change your whole strategy a
little, and have some defensive units early on, even in gen 2.

> >A Scroling map Mini Map is both conveniant and sensible
> >when it comes to 100+x100+ maps, to have half the screen
> >used up by the minimap and information isn't all that
> >desireable. What I suggest is to have the same scroll
> >system as in the main map.
>
> I find the Mini Map quite useful as a navigation tool -- having the whole
> world at ones' fingertips.  But, you are correct that on larger worlds its
> growth intrudes on the more useful Main Map.
>
> Rather than a scrolling Mini Map, how about a factor-of-two zoom for larger
> worlds?

Well this is when I find that the gtk client comes in handy.  In a game
with a larger map I always seperate the different parts of the civclient
into their own windows.  If the mini map is really huge you can keep in
lower than everything else, then switch to it when you need it.

Its hard to distinguish between your own empty cities (white) and occupied
ones (yellow) as it is, any smaller and you would have to use xmag.

--
Paul Zastoupil