Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Dumb AI in mid & late game

To: Massimo Campostrini <campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Dumb AI in mid & late game
From: Jerzy Klek <qpkjeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 19:17:34 +0200 (MET DST)

> Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Have you read my AI critique in the tutorials section?
> > I found that the AI do very well until the seams of
> > expansion close; from then on, it's pure stagnation.
> > This is a rule.  The AI just can't attack.
>
> But often it can research and defend itself moderately well.  In the
> game I was describing the AIs were hopeless (despotisms in AD 1000?)
>
> But a "new John Stonebraker" is urgently needed to resume work on the
> AI.  Sorry, that's not me :-(

For the beginning, if someone just cleans this code, remove
unused functions #ifdef UNUSED and so on, it would help a lot
other to understand it. And it doesn't have to be "new John
Stonebraker"...

Question off topic: barbarians - in civ and civ2, they used
to be found in huts and also sometimes appear out of nothing
(my private expression: 'barbarians out of the blue'). Can
anyone tell me how and when did they happen to appear on
the Earth's surface? I don't remember it very much...
I'm trying to figure out an algorithm, bot I don't really
remember much of their behaviour. Yes, barbarians...

/Jerzy