Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Dumb AI in mid & late game

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Dumb AI in mid & late game
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 00:36:15 -0500

On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 01:36:50PM +1000, David Pfitzner wrote:
> It seems to me there is a fair bit of chance in whether an
> AI player "takes off" and does well or not.  Often in a game
> it seems one or few AI players will do well, while others get
> into some sort of rut and stagnate (eg, spend all their time
> with maxed out taxes fighting a stalemate war).  Maybe they
> just all happenend to do poorly in that game?
>
> (You weren't playing with civ2 governments.ruleset were you?
> The AI is a bit broken with those at the moment.)

        The early game AI is somewhat broken.
        The AI players *REALLY* want to be near an ocean square of some
kind.  I don't know for sure why.  They will spend significant effort and
up to 10-15 turns to get to a coast, bypassing good base city squares in
the process.
        I have also seen the AI choose to build Barracks first, before any
Settlers or other units.  Once the Barracks are finished, they're behind
enough in turn count that they never seem to recover.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."