Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Barbarians (was: Dumb AI in mid & late game)

To: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Barbarians (was: Dumb AI in mid & late game)
From: Jerzy Klek <qpkjeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:33:08 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi

Thanks for the info! I started working on barbarians a couple
of days ago and have some code working, but I didn't really
know their exact behaviour. Those coming from huts, I think
I have them right, but now I added those from nowhere and I get
segfaults :-(, time to do some debugging... I don't think
I will be able to implement their exact behaviour, because it
requires fiddling with the AI code. I'm creating simply new
players without settlers, and player.ai.expand set to 0, so
even if they have capture cities, they will value new cities
as 0 and hopefully not expand. This is the easiest way and thus
viable for me.
What about barbarian units? I use Horsemen and Archers at the
beginning, and after technologies are available, they start
using Musketeers, Cannons, Knights and Partisans. Random
number of units (3-6) are created. Is it OK?

/Jerzy