Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Dumb AI in mid & late game

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Dumb AI in mid & late game
From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 29 Sep 1999 15:20:47 +0200

Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Have you read my AI critique in the tutorials section?
> I found that the AI do very well until the seams of
> expansion close; from then on, it's pure stagnation.
> This is a rule.  The AI just can't attack.

But often it can research and defend itself moderately well.  In the
game I was describing the AIs were hopeless (despotisms in AD 1000?)

But a "new John Stonebraker" is urgently needed to resume work on the
AI.  Sorry, that's not me :-(

> > I was playing with everything but the terrain at default.
>
> Including landmass, generator, and x/ysize?

No, definitely not.  Beating the AI is trivial at default terrain
generator setting.  I set land at 75 (everybody on the same continent,
yet good access to ocean), and corresponding increases to the other
parameters:

width=120
height=40
landpercent=75
riches=250
swampsize=25
deserts=13
riverlength=125
mountains=100
forestsize=62

These give a nice world IMHO, and the AIs can have their day early
on.

> BTW I think you can put the Japanese back now :)
> That AI report was made with your races patch!

They are in now, but modern Japan, not medieval.  I'm working on
same-era nation files (ancient now, later medieval...)

Regards,
        Massimo