Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Autosettler change

To: Freeciv Development <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Autosettler change
From: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:14:01 +0200

Reinier Post wrote:

> > > Except irrigation.
> >
> > *blink*
> >
> > Did I miss something?  Irrigation gives you +1 food, and no other
> > effects? Or does it make it take longer to build forests, and that's
> > what you're complaining about?
>
> I never build forests.  My settlers found cities!
> City growth implies management costs.  What would you rather have:
> one city of size 6, with a temple to keep it happy, or 2 cities of
> size 3, at the same cost?

That is not a rhetoric question, even if you think it is :-)
Both can work well for some time and some strategies.

You desperately need a forest if your city only produces one shield.

I think the autosettlers should be smarter with respect to the cities
that will use this tile, and to save CPU cycles, they should become more
lazy and less choosy. They seem to walk over the entire map in order
to improve terrain. Making sure that autosettlers don't cluster and
walk to cities that are far away could be a separate consideration
from choosing the next tile to improve.

Just my 2c

--
Peter Schäfer - mailto:schaefer@xxxxxx, schaefer@xxxxxx