Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Autosettler change

To: schaefer@xxxxxx, Freeciv Development <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Autosettler change
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:19:56 +0200

> I think the autosettlers should be smarter with respect to the cities
> that will use this tile, and to save CPU cycles, they should become more
> lazy and less choosy. They seem to walk over the entire map in order
> to improve terrain. Making sure that autosettlers don't cluster and
> walk to cities that are far away could be a separate consideration
> from choosing the next tile to improve.

To add my 1c, I wonder if a tile oriented system wouldn't be better.
That is, resources such as units and city production would be allocated
to tasks, and tasks would be defined based on the demands of individual
tiles:  for each tile, there are certain short-term objectives (such as
being conquered, being defended from the enemy, being easier to reach
by building roads, being more productive), and tasks can be planned to
meet these goals given the available resources; those tasks get
executed that satisfy the goals best.  Because they satify short-term
demands, tasks only allocate nearby units.

This is just a wild idea, it may not be effective.  An alternative
is to do this for cities instead of just any tile; the city would
have to take care of its neighbourhood, including defense.

--
Reinier