Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Dumb AI in mid & late game

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Dumb AI in mid & late game
From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 Sep 1999 17:34:18 +0200

It seems to me that the AI in the cvs-Sep-24 snapshot is dumber that
it used to be (in 1.8.1).

I'm playing a "mostly land" game (120x40 map with landmass=75) against
8 AIs.  I played a defensive game to build up my technology, claiming
a mid-sized territory and building 25 cities.  Meanwhile, the AIs (set
to hard) had free reins, and built much larger empires.

Once I got mobile warfare, I established embassies to check if I could
conquer my neighbours.  It turned out that they have 10 to 20
technologies (against my 70).  One is still a despotism.  None has
gunpowder, chivalry, or even feudalism; the best they can throw at me
is archers and chariots!

The AI has never been brilliant, after the initial phase, but I seem
to remember that, at this stage, the AI had tactics, or at least
conscription, and could defend itself fairly well.

Did anybody have a similar experience?

        Massimo Campostrini