Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Races ruleset - patch

To: qpkjeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jarda Benkovsky <pvt.benkovsk@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Races ruleset - patch
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:46:25 +0200

> I didn't say Czechs were Germans, just the country was
> (sometimes only theoreticly) part of Germany.

No, it never was.

> I just said
> that because nominally (until 1867), emperors of Austria
> were oficially called emperors of Holy Roman Empire of German
> Nation (or something like this).

Which doesn't mean that Austria was part of the Holy Roman Empire
(which may be referred to as 'Germany').  In fact, part of it was,
but Prague and Vienna weren't.

> [...]  Sometime Czech kings were quite
> active in german politics, take Charles IV or Premysl II
> Ottokar for example. Somewhat similar situation with Dutch
> (I hope I am not calling for Dutch answer :-) ).

Here you are :-)  At some point, the Dutch stadhouder Willem III was
king of Britain; but that doesn't make Britain a part of the
Netherlands.  It's similar for the Bohemian rulers you are referring
to, who were personally involved in parts of Germany, or for Charles V,
who at one point was emperor of the Holy Roman empire, the king of
Spain, the duke of Burgundy, and the archduke of Austria; but these
lands were never considered to be part of one another.

> > I hope that soon we will have to include national anthems and leader
> > /advisors pictures too - it was very nice in original Civ

There's no arguing about taste ... personally, I'd prefer to strip
out the flags, it's just silly.  I like games to be abstract.

> That would be great... Actually I personally thought of some
> help when choosing the nation with short description who the
> nation are and who the leader was (can be part of civilopedia?)
> Problem is that I don't know anything about X-windows
> programming but I can happily provide the text.

Well, the present solution is a little awkward: menus must be added by
hardcoding entries into the GUI code, then adding the text to
data/helpdata.txt.  This also creates the problem that it's impossible
to use text in www.freeciv.org.  It would be nice if the help system
was HTML based.

> > BTW: is it possible to specify more possible national leaders than
> > only one? The player could get some choices.

I'd prefer not to have a choice and just use my own nickname.
That's what I always choose, anyway.

--
Reinier