Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Races ruleset - patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Races ruleset - patch
From: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Aug 1999 19:48:15 +0200

Jerzy Klek <qpkjeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> This my approach to have races ruleset file which specifies
> race names, leader name, some AI hints and city names.

That is a good idea. About the last part where things are hard-coded :)

> There can still be only 14 races

Uhm, why? Is if fundamentally difficult or did you just not get around
to doing it? I think it would be very nice to remove this limit.

> I have changed the russian city names, now there are only cities
> from Russia, no cities from former Soviet Union, that are now in
> independent states like Ukraine.

I don't understand why. Many people seem to think that freeciv races
represent today's races, but they don't. They represent a historical
race. That's why the Soviet leader is Stalin, and Stalingrad is named
Stalingrad, and there are city names from the Soviet Union. If you
want to represent today's Russia, create another race with another
leader.

> 1. It does not send flags, and I need someone to help with it,
> because I do not have X-Window programming experience.  Should
> server load flags.xpm as text and send it to the client?

That's a difficult question. Players might want to choose different
flags from the default flags. But this option should be there.

        Falk