Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Races ruleset - patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Races ruleset - patch
From: Ed Cogburn <ecogburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:08:54 +0000

Reinier Post wrote:

> > I didn't say Czechs were Germans, just the country was
> > (sometimes only theoreticly) part of Germany.
>
> No, it never was.

        Well, technically he is correct.  In 1938, the Munich agreement
allowed Hitler to annex the Sudetenland portion of
Czechoslovakia.  A year later, it was dissolved alltogether after
Hitler took it over.  The Bohemia and Moravia portions of
Czechoslovakia were made into German protectorates, Slovakia was
made pseudo-independent, and the Ruthenia portion was given to
Hungary.  From 1939 to 1945, there was no Czechoslovakia.  Unlike
other nations which Germany conquered during WW2 later on (and
were treated as conquered nations), Czechoslovakia and Austria
were treated differently.  Austria was totally assimilated as a
part of Germany and Czechoslovakia was broken up and partially
assimilated by Germany and Hungary.
        We may not like it, but if we were making freeciv at this time
('39-'45) we would have to legitimately call Prague (and Vienna) a
(Nazi) German city (not populated by Germans, but definitely under
total German control).  If at some point in the future, freeciv is
given the ability to distinguish between native and conquered
populations, then Prague can be shown as a conquered people.
        This is the kind of problem we'll run into if we try to keep 3
different types of nations in freeciv (ancient, historical and
'modern').  When we have the underlying support, we should really
consider having multiple nation 'sets', i.e. Ancient and Modern,
plus Historical sets like one for WW2 for example.  The WW2 'set',
perhaps for a WW2 scenario, would have Nazi Germany (Nazi flag,
leader is Hitler, cities include those of Austria and
Czechoslovakia) and USSR (USSR flag, leader is Stalin, cities
include those of Ukraine, the Baltic states, and the Caucasus
states, and USSR city name versions of Leningrad and Stalingrad,
etc.).

--
Ed C.