Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Races ruleset - patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Races ruleset - patch
From: Jarda Benkovsky <pvt.benkovsk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 12:03:49 +0200

Ed Cogburn wrote:

>         I agree therefore with what Kerzy has done wrt Russian city
> names.  If we want a "USSR" as a historical nation, then make
> Russia's leader someone like Peter the Great, and use Stalin for
> USSR's leader.  Use Soviet style city names from the entire USSR
> empire (including "Sevastopol" for example), for the USSR's
> cities.

I agree with this approach, but it has one big problem:
It is very probable that if there will be Russians and
Soviets in one game, their city names will very often
clash. It's possible now too (is not it?) but with
Russians/Soviets the name conflicts would be much more common.

One possible solution is to accept only unique city names during
gameplay, so that the already used name would not be even suggested.
Of course, at least capitals should have unique names in races
rulesets :-)

The second possible solution would be marking some nations
as mutually exclusive. Not very satisfactory, however.

Another solution could be 'nation upgrade' when within
certain time the Russians would be upgraded to Soviets
and consequently back to Russians :-). This is probably
the least desirable one :-))

I think that the first solution is the way to go, at least as
a server option.

                                Edheldil