Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Races ruleset - patch

To: abies@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Races ruleset - patch
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 12:47:50 +1000 (EST)

Artur Biesiadowski wrote:
> David Pfitzner wrote:
>
> > Regarding city names:
> [...]
> > - Its not even really necesary to send those: I have a patch
> > (will send separately) where the names are only kept on the
> > server and the client queries the server for names to suggest.
> > This would mean less to send at the start, and maybe simpler.
>
> But client may want to show list of proposed names, not only one. Also
> maybe at some time there will be an option in client to provide won
> textfile with names to use (to save typing during gameplay) - it will be
> easier if client will have array of names to choose from.

Well, the client still would have the option of handling city
name suggestions itself and not ask the server.  But I think
the main client should get city names via the server, since
appropriate city names will be tied to rulesets, which are
initiallized server side (and the races/nations patch does
allow editing text files to change the default city names).

If you want to provide a list of personal race-independent city
names to use, that could be a client option, and need not
interfer with the above.

>  And at last
> (possibly most important) - it is a blocking request, which can be very
> bad for client logic and suspectible to lags.

The implementation is no more blocking nor subject to lag than
the way many other similar things are already done in the client;
eg:

- user presses 'b' to build city;
- client sends "Suggest a new city name for unit with id 556",
  and then goes back to its event loop;
- server sends back a packet: "Suggested new city name for unit
  with id 556 is 'Foobar'";
- client receives packet and popups up a "Build new city" dialog
  with 'Foobar' as the default name; depending on user dialog
  actions, client sends packet for that unit to build a city
  with some name (or cancel).

(Eg, similar happens when diplomat bribes an enemy city:
packet to get the cost, reply pops up dialog, user decides
what to do which may send diplo action packet.)

-- David