[Freeciv-Dev] Nations ruleset - the latest.

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Nations ruleset - the latest.
From: Jerzy Klek <qpkjeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 16:54:37 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi!

I have updated my ruleset patch acording to your comments.
I will answer here to those comments than require more than
saying "OK":

[cut]

>> Short description of what needs more work:
>>
>> 1. It does not send flags
>
> As discussed privately, the way to do this is via tilespec
> tag strings; tilespec is now in CVS freeciv.
>
> If the client doesn't have the specified tag (prefered or
> alternate), the client has the usual options: die; show nothing;
> show something generic.  The best (but more complicated) option
> would be for the client to simulate a single-color flag with the
> default background color for that player (in which case tilespec
> should include information on a default flag size within the
> tilesize).

Well, now it's done, though in the simplest way - client does not
display any flag when it does not have the right flag. My idea to
solve this (not implemented yet) is to add some single-colour flags
to flags.xpm (or maybe even with big numbers?) that would
be tagged "f.1" "f.2" ... and client uses them if the right flag is
not found. Of course one should never use those flags in its ruleset file.
That would be extremely easy to implement (3-4 lines?) and if
we keep the number of players to 14 we will never run out of those
"backup" flags if we alse have 14 of them.

[cut]

> Regarding city names:
>
> - It shouldn't be necessary to send city names for nations
> other than the one the player is playing?
>
> - Its not even really necesary to send those: I have a patch
> (will send separately) where the names are only kept on the
> server and the client queries the server for names to suggest.
> This would mean less to send at the start, and maybe simpler.

I like this idea, because this simplifies things. I have used
your city_suggestion patch.

> - For completeness and ease of adding/changing, maybe the
> misc_city_names[] should also be in the ruleset files?

I don't think that anyone will want to change that, but I agree
so we don't have anything left hardcoded. But this of course
makes only sence with name suggestion scheme, because I don't
want to send all those misc city names -  there are _lots_ of them.

-----------------------

Additionaly I decided not to send AI stuff to the client because
it does not need them and now the code is quite simple and
clean. Of other things I somehow managed to update GTK client
to have the sex selection when you select the nation you want
to play. So in my opinion the patch is complete now.

The patch I include is against CVS from 28 Aug with
city_suggestion applied.

/Jerzy

P.S.
Q:When I try to have a whole line comment in a vector in ruleset
file e.g.:

vector = "a",
         "b",
;comment
         "c",
         "d"

the secfile_lookup_str_vec() can't read it. A bug?

/jk