Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Races ruleset - patch

To: qpkjeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Races ruleset - patch
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:42:55 +0200

> This is discussable: the nation name is Russian and not Soviet
> and it already uses current russian flag and not he soviet one,

This is a fairly recent change in Freeciv.  It used to be the Soviet
flag.  Thwe city names also point to the Soviet Union rather than Russia.

> so my change seems reasonable. Anyway the soviet period in
> russian history lasted only for 70 years, while russian history
> dates back 1100 years (if we include Kiev Rus) so it might be
> even reasonable to replace Stalin with Peter the Great or
> Ivan the Terrible.

Agreed.  Stalin wasn't a Russian, after all.  But it is true that the
civs represent historic empires rather than existing nations.  Some
cities even occur in multiple empires (Tashkent, Marseille).

--
Reinier