Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] divorce government == tech

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] divorce government == tech
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 18:46:13 -0400

David Pfitzner (dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Hmm, I wonder if it is worthwhile to have the added complexity
> of multiple required techs for governments?

Perhaps not for governments per se, but in general it might be useful.

In Civ2, in order to build "Nuclear" units, you must know both Rocketry
and Nuclear Fission.  (I don't think this is in the documentation, but I
know it to be true empirically....)

One could imagine several possibilities with units -- e.g., in order
to build the "F-14" unit (which has a higher attack rating than the
"Fighter"), you must possess knowledge of both Flight and Rocketry.
Or to build the "Nuclear Submarine" (which has a higher movement rate
than the ordinary Submarine) you need both Combustion and Nuclear Fission.
(OK, those aren't the best examples, but I believe the idea is valid....)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.