Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] divorce government == tech

To: Freeciv Development <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] divorce government == tech
From: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 11:58:06 +0200

Daniel Sjolie wrote:

> On 1999-06-07 12:29:49, David Pfitzner wrote:
> > Sune Kirkeby wrote:
> >
> > >  Each government has
> > > a list of required techs, does it make sense to
> > > have complementrary techs also?  If so it would
> > > be fairly simple to implement that also.
> >
> > Hmm, I wonder if it is worthwhile to have the added complexity
> > of multiple required techs for governments?   (Just what you've
> > done so far, I'm not sure what you mean by complementrary techs?)
> >
> > The default governments only have one required tech each, or
> > none (eg could use A_NONE), and this is similar to units,
> > buildings which have a single required tech.  Will anyone
> > actually want to have more than one required tech for governments?
> >
> > I guess one could say that its easy enough to support the
> > extra generality, but it does make various things more complicated
> > later on, eg, packets, dynamic help, AIs, ...
> >
> > Maybe it is worthwhile (and maybe units and buildings should
> > also be allowed multiple techs), but I'm not sure.
>
> I agree that it is doubtful...
> After all, You can make a tech for that purpose...
>
> It really would mess up the help...
> Seeing that a tech allows this and that is a lot clearer...
>
> Maybe we could introduce a number to techs defining how hard
> they are to figure out in order to make techs a feasible
> all-round solution...
>
> That is:
> Make a tech that allows the government and depends on several other
> techs but doesn't take as long time to research...
>
> I'm thinking a percent signifying whether it's new research or just
> combinations of allready known techs...

So if you specify it cost 0% you get it automatically ?
A good way to do it .. .

Related: what to do when you want to delete a single technology from the
technology tree, but keep the rest of the tree ?
Is there a "replace technology requirement" command in the rulesets ?
I thought this might be useful the day when freeciv comes with 999
technologies defined, and you could play using a subtree you can
customize in a dialog ... .

--
Peter Schaefer - schaefer@xxxxxx, schaefer@xxxxxx
"FermaT, by Software Migrations Ltd, is an industrial strength program