Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] divorce government == tech

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] divorce government == tech
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:59:49 +1000 (EST)

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> David Pfitzner (dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > Hmm, I wonder if it is worthwhile to have the added complexity
> > of multiple required techs for governments?

> One could imagine several possibilities with units -- e.g., in order
> to build the "F-14" unit (which has a higher attack rating than the
> "Fighter"), you must possess knowledge of both Flight and Rocketry.
> Or to build the "Nuclear Submarine" (which has a higher movement rate
> than the ordinary Submarine) you need both Combustion and Nuclear Fission.

True enough, but I agree with what others have said, that it
would be better to achieve results like these by adjusting the
tech tree, and if necessary adding features to the tech tree such
as variable tech costs.

This may not give _quite_ the same effects (and eg may not exactly
duplicate the Civ2 nuke behaviour), but in one go you would get the
same flexibility for all of governments, buildings and units, and
anything else which has a tech requirement.

Regards,
-- David