Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] divorce government == tech

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] divorce government == tech
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 22:32:12 -0500

David Pfitzner wrote:

> Hmm, I wonder if it is worthwhile to have the added complexity
> of multiple required techs for governments?   (Just what you've
> done so far, I'm not sure what you mean by complementrary techs?)
>
> The default governments only have one required tech each, or
> none (eg could use A_NONE), and this is similar to units,
> buildings which have a single required tech.  Will anyone
> actually want to have more than one required tech for governments?
>
> I guess one could say that its easy enough to support the
> extra generality, but it does make various things more complicated
> later on, eg, packets, dynamic help, AIs, ...
>
> Maybe it is worthwhile (and maybe units and buildings should
> also be allowed multiple techs), but I'm not sure.

Same thoughts here.  If I want (say) Monarchy to have multiple
pre-requisites, then I just define a tech called (say) "Kingship", let
that tech be the single pre-req for the government of the same name, and
then use the ordinary mechanisms for specifying pre-req techs for
"Kingship".

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas