Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] divorce government == tech

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] divorce government == tech
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 12:29:49 +1000

Sune Kirkeby wrote:

>  Each government has
> a list of required techs, does it make sense to
> have complementrary techs also?  If so it would
> be fairly simple to implement that also.

Hmm, I wonder if it is worthwhile to have the added complexity
of multiple required techs for governments?   (Just what you've
done so far, I'm not sure what you mean by complementrary techs?)

The default governments only have one required tech each, or
none (eg could use A_NONE), and this is similar to units,
buildings which have a single required tech.  Will anyone
actually want to have more than one required tech for governments?

I guess one could say that its easy enough to support the
extra generality, but it does make various things more complicated
later on, eg, packets, dynamic help, AIs, ...

Maybe it is worthwhile (and maybe units and buildings should
also be allowed multiple techs), but I'm not sure.

Regards,
-- David