Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] divorce government == tech

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] divorce government == tech
From: Mark Nettle <markn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:31:18 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Daniel Sjolie wrote:

> Maybe we could introduce a number to techs defining how hard
> they are to figure out in order to make techs a feasible
> all-round solution...
>
> That is:
> Make a tech that allows the government and depends on several other
> techs but doesn't take as long time to research...
>
> I'm thinking a percent signifying whether it's new research or just
> combinations of allready known techs...

This seems a bit like what Civ:CTP has. I don't know the deatils, but I
noticed when playing it last weekend that at a given time, (funnily enough
I got almost no sleep on Saturday night, and didn't get many of the things
I wanted to do done - like more work on freeciv), not all techs
had the same amount of time to research. I think they give each tech a
fixed amount of research points to learn, rather than making it a function
of the number of existing techs.

I like the way it is now better ( I think ), but if there were a good
way to make a function of both # of known techs and a ruleset constant,
it might be nice. I think it would be more useful than having multi-tech
prereqs for anything other than techs.

        Mark