Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv graphics and overhead view

To: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv graphics and overhead view
From: Billy Naylor <banjo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 23:30:48 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Jeff Mallatt wrote:

>At 1999/03/04 14:48 , you wrote:
>>I think that as much as pretty graphics, the fact the Civ II
>>view is a pseudo perspective view, i.e. the tiles, and thus, the
>>landscape are skewed, makes a huge difference.
>
>As usual, everybody has their own opinion.  I really dislike the pseudo
>perspective view.  Perhaps it is slightly prettier, but I find myself
>constantly moving in the wrong direction.  I also have a hard time
>determining ZOCs etc quickly.  I much prefer a square grid.

The isomorphic view could be implemented in the client with no change to
the server at all, just a different set of images and a different system
to laying em out, though units would look better with transparent
backgrounds.

If we talking about opinions, well i'd prefer a hexmap, with a
pseudeo-perspective skey and wrapped round a sphere.

# banjo
  1;