Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv graphics and overhead view

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv graphics and overhead view
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 15:06:11 -0500

At 1999/03/04 14:48 , you wrote:
>I think that as much as pretty graphics, the fact the Civ II
>view is a pseudo perspective view, i.e. the tiles, and thus, the
>landscape are skewed, makes a huge difference.

As usual, everybody has their own opinion.  I really dislike the pseudo
perspective view.  Perhaps it is slightly prettier, but I find myself
constantly moving in the wrong direction.  I also have a hard time
determining ZOCs etc quickly.  I much prefer a square grid.

>The problem is that this skewed (basically stretched diamond
>shaped) type of map is not compatible with the "normal" map
>in terms of rows, cols, what it adjacent, etc...which means
>you can't just make a fancy client that draws that way or uses
>these type of tiles.  You need to change how the server deals
>with the map as well.

Yes, it is compatible!  The "stretched diamond" shapes still form a
Cartesian grid -- just a stretched and tilted one.  It *would* be just a
fancy client, as long as you're willing to live with an overall
diamond-shaped world.

jjm