[Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv graphics and overhead view

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv graphics and overhead view
From: "Patrick Edson" <pedson@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 14:48:26 -0500

It seems to me that no matter how pretty and "3D" the tiles
are made with shading/shadows/etc... it cannot alleviate the
fact that view of the map is from directly overhead.

I think that as much as pretty graphics, the fact the Civ II
view is a pseudo perspective view, i.e. the tiles, and thus, the
landscape are skewed, makes a huge difference.

The problem is that this skewed (basically stretched diamond
shaped) type of map is not compatible with the "normal" map
in terms of rows, cols, what it adjacent, etc...which means
you can't just make a fancy client that draws that way or uses
these type of tiles.  You need to change how the server deals
with the map as well.

So what do people think about this?  Would it be worth changing.
People seem to be putting a lot of effort into some nice, new
units, etc... and would seem to make sense to take the most
advantage of them.

Patrick Edson