Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv graphics and overhead view

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv graphics and overhead view
From: "Patrick Edson" <pedson@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 15:18:55 -0500

>As usual, everybody has their own opinion.  I really dislike the pseudo
>perspective view.  Perhaps it is slightly prettier, but I find myself
>constantly moving in the wrong direction.  I also have a hard time
>determining ZOCs etc quickly.  I much prefer a square grid.

That's where an option to "turn on grid" that Civ II has is useful,
square map or otherwise.

>Yes, it is compatible!  The "stretched diamond" shapes still form a
>Cartesian grid -- just a stretched and tilted one.  It *would* be just a
>fancy client, as long as you're willing to live with an overall
>diamond-shaped world.

Yes, but the problem is that Cartesian grid is rotated 45 degree
and then cut along that rotation to make a square map.  If you
draw it out I think you'll see it.  I don't think there is a way
to translate the same notion of "up, down, left, right" etc...
between these worlds.  If you can draw a square 10x10 map and
then a skewed 10x10 and show me the mapping that makes sense I
would love to see it, because I would incorporate it in my BeOS
client ASAP!

Patrick Edson