Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Some remarks (bugs?) and an update of greek city names

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Some remarks (bugs?) and an update of greek city names.
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 15:21:19 +0000

John Goerzen wrote:

> Also, while we're on this subject, is there any documentation anywhere
> explaining this "zone of control" thing?

David Pfitzner recently updated the help to include a section
on ZOC.  Get a recent snapshot and try it out.

In a nutshell, each unit has a ring around it called the zone of
control.  When you're moving near an enemy, you can't move from
one square in the ZOC of the enemy unit, to another.  Usually
this means that you can't go "sideways" past a unit:  You must
either attack or retreat.

There are exceptions to these rules, and they're in the new help.

Regards,

Mitch.