Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Some remarks (bugs?) and an update of greek city names

To: rizos@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Some remarks (bugs?) and an update of greek city names.
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 21:57:40 +1100

Rizos Sakellariou wrote:

> Yep - it occurred again. A diplomat moving on a river and then reaching
> a city. The message is that the diplomat can't attack there (city built
> on plains) but can move to the next square (again plains)...
>
> Try http://www.cs.rice.edu/~rizos/lala.sav, connect as Elizabeth
>
> and try to move the british diplomat in Athenae (following the shortest path).

Ah, well, the Diplomat doesn't actually have enough movement to
move either to the plains or the city, but since it has _some_
movement it gets a _chance_ to move onto the plains.  (In the same
situation with a different random sequence, trying to move to
the plains would end to Diplomats turn (zero move remaining)
_without_ actually making the movement.)

Not sure what we should do about this; making the message
"can't attack there" more informative would help.
(Or the ruling about when Diplomats can do actions is not set
in stone either.)

-- David