Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
[Freeciv-Dev] diplcost (was: Some remarks (bugs?) and an update of greek

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] diplcost (was: Some remarks (bugs?) and an update of greek city names)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 16:49:10 +0100

> One could argue that zero-ing the current research_points is
> a sufficient penalty.

I do not agree at all.  I've been in a game where my research cost was -16300
and it made perfect sense to me: diplcost 100 ought to mean 'in the long run
you gain nothing by trading techs' and that's exactly what it does.

> In any case, my suggestion here is that the overflow should be avoided,
> a lower bound would help, and i thought that 0 is a reasonable choice.

My opinion: yes; yes; not at all, the smallest (most negative) number
should be used.

> Do negative research points ever appear in the original Civilization?

Hmm, good question.  I have no idea.

--
Reinier Post