Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Some remarks (bugs?) and an update of greek city names

To: rizos@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Some remarks (bugs?) and an update of greek city names.
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 21:05:38 +1100

Rizos Sakellariou wrote:

> > > I wonder whether it is sensible to allow a player ending up with
> > > negative points in the technology being researched. This may occur
> > > when a penalty due to diplomacy/free_tech/conquest_of_city is subtracted
> > > from the player's current research points
> >
> > I believe this problem has been fixed.
>
> Nope! I've downloaded and compiled (without too much hassle although
> on Solaris!) the Nov.30th version and the problem still exists.
> Anyway, i fixed it - what is really needed is to modify
> do_dipl_cost, do_free_cost, and do_conquer_cost
> in server/plrhand.c as follows:

Well, its fixed to the extent that the server option "diplcost"
now defaults to zero, if you start a new game.

The original purpose of diplcost seems to have been to _reduce_
the advantage of trading techs, and your patch would seem to
make it no longer work much in that respect.

Though whether the advantage of trading techs _should_ be reduced
is questionable, which is why diplcost now defaults to 0...
It seems to me that if players want to cooperate, (and possibly
gang up on others) that's up to them.

> > > On some occasions, when a diplomat reaches a city and the popup menu
> > > appears and a selection is made, there is no action after that (meaning
> > > that nothing occurs and no message appears explaining why).
> >
> > I suspect this problem has been fixed as well.
> >

> i'm not sure - it seems to me that it occurred again... but have to check
> that further...

I agree with Mitch that this is thought to be fixed, so please
do report any remaining problems.

-- David