Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
[Freeciv-Dev] Some remarks (bugs?) and an update of greek city names.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Some remarks (bugs?) and an update of greek city names.
From: Rizos Sakellariou <rizos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 20:51:58 -0600 (CST)

Hi all,

I have discovered freeciv a couple of weeks ago and i have had already
quite fun with it - congratulations for the good work! Just a few
remarks that perhaps can be used to improve next versions:

I wonder whether it is sensible to allow a player ending up with
negative points in the technology being researched. This may occur
when a penalty due to diplomacy/free_tech/conquest_of_city is subtracted
from the player's current research points (the functions currently
existing in plrhand.c do not check if the resulting quantity ends up
being negative). In fact, i played a game where this negative quantity
increased so quickly (due to continuous treaties) that an overflow
apparently occurred and this number ended up as a high positive number
in the science report!

On some occasions, when a diplomat reaches a city and the popup menu
appears and a selection is made, there is no action after that (meaning
that nothing occurs and no message appears explaining why). I guess
that this may be because of some rules that apply which don't allow the
choice selected (i'm not totally familiar with the rules of the game),
however, there is no message anyway. I think it might be nice here
to disable these choices from the menu anyway, or, if there are no actions
that the diplomat can do, to display a popup message to this respect...

Finally, it looks like when i enlarge the freeciv XWindow on my screen
so that it covers more than approximately 60% of the height of the screen,
the bottom line of the map (i.e., the south pole) becomes invisible
(even though it is `discovered') and this doesn't change unless the height
is reduced! I wonder what may cause this - everything is ok when the height
remains within a certain limit.

--rizos

PS: As a small contribution, i updated the greek city names.
    The relevant part follows:

/* Latinized names */
char *default_greek_city_names[] = {
  "Athenae", "Sparta", "Thebae", "Corinthus", "Byzantium",
  "Miletus", "Ephesus", "Piraeus", "Argos", "Megalopolis",
  "Megara", "Eleusis", "Chalcis", "Eretria", "Thessalonica",
  "Pella", "Edessa", "Dodona", "Nikopolis", "Naupactus",
  "Patrae", "Olympia", "Pylos", "Mantinea", "Tegea",
  "Nauplion", "Mycenae", "Nemea", "Epidauros", "Aulis",
  "Orchomenos", "Marathon", "Delphi", "Thermopylae", "Phaleron",
  "Nicaea", "Heraclea", "Potidaea", "Stagira", "Olynthus",
  "Colophon", "Phocaea", "Amphissa", "Elateia", "Hyampolis",
  "Atalante", "Oropos", "Lebadeia", "Larissa", "Iolkus",
  "Amphiclaea", "Mesembria", "Cyzicus", "Halicarnassus", "Pergamos",
  "Pydna", "Philadelphea", "Therme", "Amphipolis", "Corcyra",
  "Ithaca", "Thera", "Delos", "Panormos", "Ortygia",
  "Melos", "Lykosoura", "Amyclae", "Clazomenae", "Kynos Kephalae", (char *)0
};