Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: November 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Measure the AI ability to harvest resources

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Measure the AI ability to harvest resources
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:28:56 -0800 (PST)

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > Why is this AI civ building Courthouses? They should not be built ahead of
> > improvements like marketplaces/temples, if at all.
>
> Why not? Courthouse help a lot. I measured this.

Share your measurements with me. I am highly sceptical. I still think in all
situations either a temple or a marketplace are far better builds than a
courthouse.

I would only consider building a courthouse if the government is a
republic/democracy.

> > Known problem. I'm not sure on how to fix it. I don't want the AI building
> > coinage everywhere again, or selling improvements. Ideas? More caravans is
> the best I have come up with. Not brilliant.
>
> Caravans are way up in the tech tree from what we're discussing. The AI
> does build caravans a lot when it can.

I know. That is why I said my idea was far from brilliant. Share yours with
me ; ).

> > The only other idea I have is more marketplaces in Cities producing > 1
> gold. Having settlers build roads first, then irrigation in squares used by
>own cities is another possibility.
>
> Really smart settler code would lay path finding over tiles that need to
> be roaded, and then road on your way to your city founding.

You had a patch that implemented smarter settlers. Did you do this? Are you
sure this is that great an idea?

In the beginning game, the difference of a few turns is huge. This is a very
good idea in the mid/end game. Not so sure of the start.

Aloha,
RK.

Nasrudin walked into a shop one day, and the owner came forward to
serve him.  Nasrudin said, "First things first.  Did you see me walk
into your shop?"  "Of course."  "Have you ever seen me before?"
"Never."  "Then how do you know it was me?"