Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Reactions to the following?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Reactions to the following?
From: bbales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:23:09 -0600

John Alexander wrote:

>  My honest impression and gut feeling is that Linux won't take off for the
> average joe/joan until the install matches Windows '9x in simplicity, with
> all the inherent
> assumptions. But then, do we all want our OS to be making all of those
> assumptions for us?
>
> ja

They don't have to take our control away - just add a newbie install to
red-hat.  With big disks and pci, most of the questions could be answered.
Only one or two partitions, swap = twice the memory, set up sound and
multimedia.  Most modern monitors can be probed and with a little refinement
and some clever install questions, a newbie could have a working KDE or gnome
workstation.

If you want the control, pick one of the other installs and size your
partitions, make swap what you want, fine-tune your x system, and set up a
network.

See.  I made it sound easy.
bruce