Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Reactions to the following?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Reactions to the following?
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:19:46 -0600

I was not crazy to hear AOL was buying Netscape... BUT... I can't say it's
been a particularly bad thing.  It may well have been good, in fact.
They've left it opensource... and perhaps promoted opensource mozilla even
more than Netscape Corp. did.  AOL has also done things to make ICQ more
'open' (not that I ever cared for ICQ anyway).

I think if Linux is ever really to take a 'stronghold' in the desktop
market, it will require some large company to do it.  That company either
needs to grow from nothing (as Red Hat was doing) or pre-exist (as AOL
already does).  For those who think Linux on the desktop is a worthy goal,
I'd think that an AOL aquisition of Red Hat would be a good thing.

I'm one of the perhaps rare few that thinks Linux as a mainstream desktop IS
is silly.  It's a server OS, and should remain one... but whatever.  As long
as it's capable of doing what I need, I don't care too much what else it can
do.

I'm not too concerned about AOL/RH.  RH is losing market share anyway, and
they never really effected me as a Debian user :)

-- Jonathan

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 03:57:44PM -0600, Ryan Hunt wrote:

> I care little about Redhat and less about AOL.. I do however care about the
> effects on the
> linux community.. With rumors of Redhat employees quiting and massive
> oposition to AOL
> buying RedHat I dont belive this will be a good thing, however everytime AOL
> has bought out
> something the people with common sence oposed it (Netscape and ICQ for
> example).. To bad it
> has no effect on the end result and AOL can and will do what it wants. Now
> weather or not AOL
> will do any good to RedHat.. I couldent care less but Im not happy watching
> AOL try to
> establish a monopoly anymore than I am watching Microsoft try to do the
> same...
>
> -Ryan
>

> > http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industry/01/21/aol.red.hat.ap/index.html
> >

> > My quick take:
> >
> > Good = possible competitor for Microsoft in the "desktop" arena
> >

> Bad = every RPM puts and IM icon on your desktop
> >
> > -- This is the discussion@xxxxxxxxx list.
> To unsubscribe,
> > visit http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

Useless fact #9: Texas has the lowest number of electoral votes per
capita in the U.S. with one electoral vote for every 605,803 people.