Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Reactions to the following?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Reactions to the following?
From: Lars von dem Ast <mrprenzl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:53:20 -0600

On Monday 21 January 2002 03:47 pm, you wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industry/01/21/aol.red.hat.ap/index.html
>
> My quick take:
>
> Good = possible competitor for Microsoft in the "desktop" arena
>
> Bad = every RPM puts and IM icon on your desktop

As the famous biologist E.O. Wilson said: "Evolution creates diversity, not
conformity." Linux is great because of its diversity. AOL takeovers will not
help diversity. Just think, had the Unixae made a serious attempt at the
office-desktop computer, there would be Unix/Linux-style "grown-up" Internet
everywhere. Instead, we've got stripped-down, anti-peer-to-peer,
ultra-commercial, toy versions of the Internet such as AOL and Microsoft. AOL
and Linux do not belong together. One is a chunk of sterile real estate in
the neoliberal free market wasteland, the other is a thriving World Hive of
power!!! HAAHAHA!!! (maniacal volkish/anarchist/Marxist/esoteric laughter).

Lb