Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Reactions to the following?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Reactions to the following?
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:55:44 -0600

Let me input my 2-cents worth here....

I hate to admit it but I am a Windows user... I have tried to install Linux
on four different machines over the past three years and always end up
having some sort of hardware conflict (due to lack of driver support and or
lack of understanding of how to install the correct device drivers) that I
did not have under Windows.

While my Windows machines almost always crash daily (if not more often),
when it comes to installing software to try out it is a breezes.. Also when
you take into account how easy it is to install software on a MAC system due
to limited hardware needing to be supported.

Now if I had moved from DOS to Linux I don't think that I would have the
mind set, and find some of the things as hard to understand.

So I feel that every 'NEW' user to Linux that learns the operating system,
before they learn anything about Windows, the easier it is for the user to
be cross platform.

I have seen on the TV show 'Screen Savers' where under MAC OS-10 they are
installing Linux with out a hitch and are even able to have both operating
systems running at the same time.

So until the install of downloaded and purchased software is easier, and
better hardware support out of the box, Linux is going to have a tough time.

--David