Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Reactions to the following?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Reactions to the following?
From: Randy Reames <randy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 22 Jan 2002 14:23:55 -0600

On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 14:07, Carl D Cravens wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, John Alexander wrote:
>
> > No need to, it runs fine for me under WINE. My honest impression and gut
> > feeling is that Linux won't take off for the average joe/joan until the
> > install matches Windows '9x in simplicity, with all the inherent
> > assumptions.
>
> At which point, Intuit will port Quicken to Linux.
>
> > But then, do we all want our OS to be making all of those assumptions
> > for us?
>
> Linux can still be made simpler to install/use without doing stupid stuff
> like the Windows Registry.  It will still have to have install assumptions
> for my mother to install it... but so long as the ability to *override*
> those assumptions is available, that seems like the best of both worlds to
> me.
>
> --
> Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
> Squirt guns don't squirt people, kids do.

These are things left up to the distros not Linux itself. There are
distros working to make things "simpler", Mandrake and Redmond Linux
come to mind. This one here seems about as simple as you could get for a
server.http://www.dartek.com/imass/ (as seen on /.)

On the RH/AOL merger/buyout rumor. I liked what Robin Miller had to say
over at Newsforge.
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/01/19/1848219
"Why can't I do online banking with my AOL browser?"

I prefer Moneydance to Quicken anyway. Now when Macromedia ports its
tools to Linux, or at least work better under Wine then I'll have no use
for Windows at work.

Randy
--
Randy Reames     randy@xxxxxxxxxx     www.reames.org