Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Reactions to the following?

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Reactions to the following?
From: Bruce Alderman <baa@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 19:11:37 -0600 (CDT)

Even if I hadn't already seen the later email with the link stating AOL
is not planning to buy Red Hat, I'd have been skeptical.  What would AOL
possibly have to gain from buying a Linux distro?  Wouldn't it make more
sense for AOL to go the IBM or Sun route and form a strategic
partnership with RH?

And what would RH possibly gain from being bought by AOL? Wouldn't it
make more sense for RH, too, to form a strategic partnership?

AOL could give RH a lump of cash, and RH could create a bundle of "AOL
for Linux" software, which could then be mailed out on a CD-ROM to every
household in the United States -- with a 10,000 Free Hours offer, or
something like that.  Then RH adds the same AOL bundle to its RH 8.0
package -- because there's not enough CDs in the box already.

Really, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the AOL-to-buy-RH rumor could
be traced back to Microsoft's Department of FUD.

--
Bruce Alderman                   baa@xxxxxxxxxx
          http://www.intcon.net/~baa