Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2003:
[linux-help] Re: hardware help Off Topic

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: hardware help Off Topic
From: bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 15:12:41 -0600

On Sunday 06 April 2003 12:42 am, you wrote:
> What exactly are the dimms? you said 2 were 128mb and one
> unidentified. Try removing all but one, and make sure that one is in
> the first slot and try powering up to see if it is the dimm, or the
> slot.  then try 2 matched in slots 1 and 2.  Then swap dimms and try
> the various combinations of dimms and slots to see if any other one
> or combination will work.

Two of the dimms are marked pc133 sdram 16x64 128mb.  I have the mobo
book and it says start with dimm slot 3.  These two are in slots 3 and
2.  In slot 1 is a dimm marked 4x64 pc100-322-620.  I assume the first
two dimms are 128MB and the other is 32mb.  Bios reports 64MB with 4mb
shared with the video (leaves 61440K).

If I swap the two boards in slots 2 and 3, the computer just beeps and
won't boot, so I assume the dimm I swapped into slot 3 is bad.  If I
remove the suspected bad dimm and the 32 Meg, the bios reports 61440 +
4096 shared.  When I added the 32MB dimm back in the bios reports 91+MB.

The owner of the machine didn't like XP pro and preferred Win98.  Since
it was reporting "ntldr not found," and I couldn't get by that, I used
DOS (ugh) to save her documents and formatted the disk and loaded
Win98.  Win98 runs quite well with 91mb.

> Sometimes you must use the slots in the order they are numbered.  If
> it is an older pentium it may need a matched pair of dimms in order
> to even work. (for example I had one that required 2 32mb dimms (or
> simms??) paired in slots 1 and 2 in order to see 64mb of memory.
> Using one 16mb and one 32mb did NOT work)

It is my understanding that simms (72 pin) must always be matched
pairs, but that dimms (168 pins) need not be.  In my limited
experience, dimms have worked singly.

> What is the actual MOBO and CPU?  it appears to be ATX, but that can
> be pentium, pII, PIII, or something else.
> If you know the make and model of the MOBO you often can go to the
> manufacturers web site and get specs, settings, and even manuals for
> the board.

I was fortunate that the owner had the MOBO manual.  It is a microATX
with K6-2 - 450MHZ.  However, finding the mobo maker is not easy.  For
some reason, very few mobo makers put their names on their books or
motherboards.  Award bios reports 10/13/99-530-2a5IMC3AC-00 on boot -
this may be a clue.

> What about bios settings?  have you tried the defaults in case some
> weird setting is causing the problem?

Since the box was built from "used parts by a friend" of the owner, I
hesitate to try defaults with the bios.  He may have done something
special.  One other thing I just noticed: the MOBO book says a 200 watt
power supply is required and the one in the box is only 180 watts.

Again, thanks to everyone.  Hope I never see another Microsoft machine.
bruce