Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2003:
[linux-help] Re: hardware help Off Topic

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: hardware help Off Topic
From: "David E Carmichael" <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 22:52:14 -0600

I just did a qucik 'Google' search anf found the following site:
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm
[site has a graphic]

Q.  How can I "trigger" an ATX power supply to test it?
A.  Do this at your own risk...
Is the power cord plugged into the power supply? Is the surge
protector on?
Is it plugged into a live outlet?
Plug the power supply AC power cord directly into a wall outlet.
Many recent ATX power supplies have an additional power switch on
the back of the power supply itself.  Is it on?
Is the power supply set for the correct voltage?  Most of them
have 110/220 Volt switch.  The 220 volt setting won't work in the
U.S.A.  The 110 volt setting in Germany, for example, will
probably fry the power supply--I've done it!
Unplug the power cable to the power supply and disconnect all of
the power cables from the power supply except the main power
connector to the motherboard.  Disconnect all other cables to the
motherboard except the front panel power-on connector.  Remove
all expansion boards from the computer.  Push the power-on switch
and see if the power supply fan turns.
Try another outlet.
Now to answer the question... Unplug the power cord from the
power supply, short-out pins 14 and 15 on the power supply main
power connector, and plug-in the power cord just long enough to
see if the fan is working.  This may not be the best thing to
repeatedly do to an ATX power supply (it can damage it).  The ATX
Power Supply Design Guide 0.9 states that the power-on function
should be normally done with TTL (transistor transistor logic)
circuitry which pulls pin 14 low and which should include contact
debounce logic.  I use a jumper cable with alligator clips at
each end with partially stretched-out paper clips in each
alligator clip (an old trick).  Pull the power plug before
removing the jumper.  If the power supply works, remove the
motherboard and see if it is shorted-out by a stand-off or lose
screw.  I have seen cases where a particular "good" ATX power
supply would not work with a particular "good" motherboard--so
much for standards and design guides