Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2003:
[linux-help] Re: hardware help Off Topic

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: hardware help Off Topic
From: "David E Carmichael" <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 13:57:47 -0600

The following is learned the hard way....

Dimms come in two formats.

Single density
Double density

Many older motherboards will not support double density memory.

Most current retail memory is double density.

Now the way that you use to be able to tell the difference is..

If chips are only on one side of the dimm package then it
"should" be single density.

But due to how cheap memory is now days.. on a mainboard that
seems to work with only single density dimms then you just
purchase a dimm of twice the size that you want to add to the
computer.

--David