Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2003:
[linux-help] Re: hardware help Off Topic

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: hardware help Off Topic
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 00:42:16 -0600

bruce wrote:

>On Thursday 03 April 2003 10:52 pm, David wrote:
>

>>I just did a qucik 'Google' search anf found the following site:
>>http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm
>>[site has a graphic]
>>

>Thanks to the information on the site David found, I was able to test
>the power supply on the bench.  It was good.
>
>I reinstalled it in the chassis and tried to power up again.  Surprise
>- it started!  Bios still only reports 64Meg memory, even with two
>128Meg dimms, and won't boot except to DOS with a floppy, but it's a
>computer now.

What exactly are the dimms? you said 2 were 128mb and one unidentified.
Try removing all but one, and make sure that one is in the first slot
and try powering up to see if it is the dimm, or the slot.  then try 2
matched in slots 1 and 2.  Then swap dimms and try the various
combinations of dimms and slots to see if any other one or combination
will work.

Sometimes you must use the slots in the order they are numbered.  If it
is an older pentium it may need a matched pair of dimms in order to even
work. (for example I had one that required 2 32mb dimms (or simms??)
paired in slots 1 and 2 in order to see 64mb of memory.  Using one 16mb
and one 32mb did NOT work)

What is the actual MOBO and CPU?  it appears to be ATX, but that can be
pentium, pII, PIII, or something else.
If you know the make and model of the MOBO you often can go to the
manufacturers web site and get specs, settings, and even manuals for the
board.

What about bios settings?  have you tried the defaults in case some
weird setting is causing the problem?

>There has to be a bad connection somewhere, but I hesitate to go
>probing around.

May not be a bad connection.  Memory issues can be very deceptive.