Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2003:
[linux-help] Re: hardware help Off Topic

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: hardware help Off Topic
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:19:06 -0600

You said you swapped DIMMs.

some trouble shooting tips would be:

1.  check and reseat the DIMMs, making sure they are fully latched into
place.
(A DIMM that is not fully seated can cause this.  This includes making
absolutely sure the dimm slot is clean)

2.  remove the new DIMMs and reinstall the original
(Newer MOBOs should be able to configure whichever type you have, but
there are several different types of memory and not all MOBOs support
all types)

3.  verify the new DIMMs match the original.  ( pc100 vs pc133,  parity
vs non-parity, etc )

4.  check any cable connections you might have disturbed
(a loose cable may interfere)

5.  if all of the above don't fix the problem then consider the power
supply as Anne suggested. You can test the one you have by jumpering the
power-on pin to a ground pin and then testing the other output voltages,
or better yet, try it in another computer you know is working so the
only change is the power supply.

6.  As a last resort you might replace the mobo, but only if it can not
be gotten to work when in the exact original configuration where it was
previously working.
(a broken trace on the MOBO can prevent power on, and replacing DIMMS
does cause some stress on the board)

If the new DIMMs you are installing are not supported by the old MOBO
then there will be no option but to get different memory for the
upgrade, or get a MOBO that supports what you have.